Manufacturing & Supply Chain
Your Work Shapes the World at Caterpillar Inc.
When you join Caterpillar, you’re joining a global team who cares not just about the work we do – but also about each other. We are the makers, problem solvers, and future world builders who are creating stronger, more sustainable communities. We don’t just talk about progress and innovation here – we make it happen, with our customers, where we work and live. Together, we are building a better world, so we can all enjoy living in it.
Why you want the job and why it’s awesome!
At Caterpillar’s Indonesia Batam, we manufacture Hydraulic Shovels products used in building the infrastructure and mining to move materials that makes a better world. As a Welding Technician, you will provide technical expertise, guidance, and ownership of all welding-related activities for the facility and serve as an enterprise resource for welding-related activities. Your role is essential in maintaining the required quality level in welded structures and components.
Work Location: Batam, Kepulauan Riau
Travel Requirement: None
You will work both in an office and manufacturing shop-floor environment.
Domestic relocation is available for this position.
What You Will Do:
- Acts as liaison between engineering and manufacturing on welding-related issues. Serves on or designates a delegate for all NPI (New Product Introduction) teams.
- Liaison with fabrication suppliers on welding-related issues to ensure the most efficient and cost-effective systems or operations to produce quality products.
- Conduct and/or review welding-related failure analysis.
- Represent the facility on external welding-related committees.
- Adheres to established standards, policies, and practices relating to quality, cost reduction, safety, ergonomics, and CPS (Caterpillar Production System) transformation.
- Create Welding Procedure Specification (WPS) and Welder Performance Qualification Record (WPQR).
- Monitoring improvement related to welding.
What You Have (Required):
- Good proficiency in English.
- Hold welding inspector certification or welding engineering-related certification.
- Understands the fundamentals of welding metallurgy, quality systems, external welding specifications, NDT (Non-Destructive Testing), engineering standards and specifications, manufacturing practices and specifications, robotics (Cobots), process modeling, testing processes and procedures, and project management.
- In-depth working knowledge of welding safety; welding processes, WPQR (Welding Procedure Qualification Record), and welding process control methods.
- Have knowledge about welding deformation and welding equipment technology.
Top Candidates Will Also Bring:
- A university degree (S1) in a Mechanical Engineering or Manufacturing Engineering-related degree is preferable.
- Experience in welding-related activities.
- Experience in the fabrication of large steel structures.
- Experience in improvement projects with Six Sigma or other methodologies.
- Prior experience working in a manufacturing environment with thorough knowledge of manufacturing concepts related to the welding process.
Physical Requirements (With or Without Reasonable Accommodation):
- This job requires extensive active movement throughout the plant including climbing stairs and steps, lifting devices, and pushing and pulling equipment.
What You Will Get
Our goal at Caterpillar is for you to have a rewarding career. Our teams are critical to the success of our customers who build a better world. Here you earn more than just a salaried wage because we value your performance, we offer a total rewards package that provides benefits (medical, dental, vision, pension, and accident & life insurance) along with the potential of an annual bonus.
Please frequently check the email associated with your application, including the junk/spam folder, as this is the primary correspondence method. If you wish to know the status of your application – please use the candidate log-in on our career website as it will reflect any updates to your status.
Relocation is available for this position.
Caterpillar is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO).
Not ready to apply? Join our Talent Community .